Our Cawthorne Community
Since 1872, our school has stood at the centre of the village, working in conjunction with the Church to serve the local community and educate generations of families and children. Cawthorne is built on a genuine Christian love for one another, fosters a strong sense of togetherness and harbours a close knit community. Through collaborative partnerships and positive relationships, all members of our community are engaged, supported and encouraged so that they flourish in life.
Our school parable of the Good Samaritan epitomises our values of friendship, compassion and the notion of ‘loving your neighbour as you love yourself’. Our Cawthorne Community consists of five points of a star:
- our Governors;
- the Church;
- our staff;
- our children
Our children sit at the centre of everything that we do as we want them to develop as unique individuals who flourish in life. In order to achieve this, all of the five points need to be working together in a positive, supportive manner so that the child shines bright. If one of the points are not engaged then we will not be able to achieve our shared, Christian vision. Being at Cawthorne is a partnership, where everyone plays a positive role in a child's educational journey.
Links With The Village Of Cawthorne
The village and parish of Cawthorne has a long history spanning back to the Domesday Book of 1086 and beyond. It lies about four miles west of Barnsley and is located in the rural area of green belt land. The Parish comprises the village of Cawthorne and a wider rural area of scattered smaller settlements and farms. It extends over 1500 hectares and had a population of 1,151 in the 2011 Census. Cawthorne Village is situated in an area of natural beauty, being surrounded by green fields, farmland and estate land. There are a multitude of beautiful walks for the novice or the more experienced rambler to tackle.
There has been a school in Cawthorne since 1455. Over the years, the position of this school has moved and developed until our present school was established by the Spencer Stanhope family and The Church in 1872.
The school stands in a prominent position at the centre of the village alongside Cawthorne All Saints Church. Our school prides itself on the close links we have with the many local amenities, clubs and facilities:
- Cawthorne Parish Council
- Cawthorne Methodist Church
- Cawthorne All Saints Church
- Cawthorne Cricket Club
- Cawthorne Football Club
- Cawthorne Karate Club
- Cawthorne Museum
- Cannon Hall Estate
- Cannon Hall Farm
- Cawthorne Post Office
By developing links and positive relationships with the active, rural community of Cawthorne, our children and families develop a close affinity with the school, the village and the surrounding locality.
A Close Affinity To Cawthorne